RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

'Tangled' Is Far from a Cinematic Mess


Release Date: November 24, 2010

Starring (Voice Overs): Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi, Donna Murphy, Ron Perlman, M.C. Gainey, Jeffrey Tambor

Director: Nathan Greno, Bryon Howard

Writer: Dan Fogelman

Trailer


Official Website

Disney's 'Tangled' is a 2010 computer-animated film loosely based on the Grimm Brother's fairy tale, 'Rapunzel.'

When I say computer-animated, that doesn't mean it's  Pixar. One of my pet peeves is when people think a computer-animated film is Pixar; almost as much as I hate it when people think 'Anastasia' and the like are Disney films (DON BLUTH, PEOPLE!) I believe in giving credit (or extreme dislike) where credit is due.

Now, back to 'Tangled.'

Many of us are familar of the story of Rapunzel, the poor girl who is locked in a tower by a witch for many years of her lonely life.

'Tangled' changes up the Grimm Brother's story a bit and puts in new elements to make up a more exciting movie. In the trailer, you can see Rapunzel leaving her tower to go off on her own adventure. Can you imagine 'Tangled' if it stuck to the original story?

We'd basically see Rapunzel...in a tower...for the whole movie...until...the end.

Where's the fun in that? Another good addition to 'Tangled' is how Rapunzel ended up in the tower in the first place. In the original story, a random peasant's idiot, radish-craving pregnant wife wants him to risk his life to go into someone else's garden and satisfy her own hormonal urges.

Enjoy your vegetables, b*tch.
As with many husbands with a pregnant wife, he keeps his mouth shut and goes into the garden. As we all know, this was a witch's garden and she catches the peasant, makes a deal, wants his child after she is born, blah blah blah.

This is a major difference from 'Tangled' for Rapunzel was born of royal blood (any excuse for Disney to make yet another Princess, I suppose). Instead of being a b*tch like the peasant mother, the Queen was sick while pregnant with Rapunzel and the loyal subjects of the King did their best to find a magical golden flower out in the wilderness. Yes, there is only one.

This flower glows like a swinger at a rave party, so you'd think it wouldn't be hard to find. Unfortunately, it is being hidden by a mysterious woman who selfishly uses it to restore her youth, making it harder to find. One night, the witch knocks over the basket covering the flower, and the Kingdom's subjects find it and take it to their Queen. She becomes better, a baby girl is born, and everyone is happy.

Except for the witch. She sneaks into the castle one night and steals the baby. Instead of not looking for their daughter like the peasants, the King and Queen search for their poor daughter for the next 18 years.

Apparently, peasants are not good for much of anything, let alone have children.
This adaptation of 'Rapunzel' is wonderful and delightful; the writing of the origin of Rapunzel is well-done and well-thought out.

Another aspect of 'Tangled' that was pointed out to me by my boyfriend, was the fact that the main villain was almost approachable. The witch has a human-side to her character and she wasn't a complete, crazy maniac, like in other Disney films. She actually has an affectionate side, but that became watered-down due to her selfishness. Really, that is actually a common problem with people nowadays.

The animation was beautiful and I was thinking that throughout the film. Very colorful, very bright, and made me wonder what kind of conditioner Rapunzel uses.

The songs were not all-too-amazing, but I think if I listened to them more, I may take a better liking for them. I did enjoy "Mother Knows Best" however, which was sung by the witch.

So, all in all, this is a pretty amazing movie, especially since Pixar was not involved this time around. I enjoyed it a lot and you can still check it out in theaters now! I don't care how old you are, go out and watch it. I watched 'Tangled' with 3 strapping young men, so there is no excuse for you to not watch it.

Rent worthy? If you can't catch it in theaters, go and rent it when it is available. It really is a cute film, especially one to watch with the family and children.

DVD/Blu-ray worthy? I think I might buy it. It's a nice movie to have on hand if children ever come around. But then again, I'd still probably end up watching it by myself while sipping on a hot cup of tea.

Keep on watchin'
The Little Critic

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation
but I in finding this topic to be really one thing which I believe I'd by no means understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking ahead for your subsequent publish, I will attempt to get the cling of it!

Check out my web site - http://dentaloralsc6.bravesites.com/

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy