RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

'Tron: Legacy'


"The game has changed."

Release Date: December 17, 2010

Starring: Jeff Bridges, Garret Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Beau Garrett, Michael Sheen, Bruce Boxleitner

Director: Joseph Kosinski

Writers: Edward Kitsis, Adam Horowitz

MPAA Rating: Rated PG for sequences of sci-fi action violence and brief mild language.

Trailer


Official Website
Disney's 'Tron: Legacy' is a fluorescent-light-filled orgy of a film that's enjoyable enough to space out to in the dark, sticky-floored theater while absent-mindedly stuffing popcorn down your throat.

Not necessarily a bad thing to do, however. The effects were pretty awesome and worked well with the classic world of 'Tron.'

'Tron: Legacy' is a sequel to the original, 1982 'Tron.' For the sake of not confusing you, I will reference the 2010 film as 'Legacy' and the 80's film as 'Tron.'

'Legacy' starts off with ENCOM's CEO, Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges, reprising the same role he played in the original) and his 7-year-old son some time after the events of 'Tron' happened. We see the two bonding together as the world usually expects a father and son to do. Most fathers would say, "Yes, we'll go play baseball someday and be a great team, son!" Kevin pretty much tells his son, Sam, "Sure, son...I'll bring you to the world where in my first film, a maniacal, Master Control Program tried to dispose of me with many, many dangers...but, we'll be a team, so that's okay."

After the heartfelt bonding time, Kevin leaves and mysteriously disappears for the next 20 years.

No, Sam is not another "Daddy didn't love you" sort of child.
Fast forward. Although 27-year-old Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund) is a controlling shareholder of ENCOM, he takes little interest for any of it.

After a mysterious pager contact (heh..snicker..giggle..a pager!?) from his father's old office, Sam investigates Kevin's old arcade and after a series of events and an awesome rocking-to-Journey moment, Sam discovers a mysterious device. Upon more investigating/fiddling, Sam is lasered into a digital dimension of bright lights, lasers, and shiny things.

It is there, in the world of Tron, that Sam will find out what became of his father and must escape before it is too late.

So, what was awesome about 'Legacy?' Well, for the obvious starter, how about the graphics? Take a look at the trailer for 'Tron' and compare it to the trailer of 'Legacy,' provided above.

By today's graphic standards, you are legally getting eye-raped by the trailer of 'Tron' and being sweetly serenaded by 'Legacy.' To be fair, those were state-of-the-art graphics for the time, which makes me wonder how graphics will evolve in 30 more years. Maybe someday I will actually be able to feel and touch Bruce Willis' bald head the way I'm supposed to.

The only man whose head shines brighter than the sun...so..touchable..
Another pretty awesome quality to 'Legacy' was the music, composed by the French-duo known as Daft Punk. The electronic/orchestra-backed notes and sounds worked with, not against, the film. I really enjoyed the deep, pulsating bass tones creeping into my ears. I was impressed at how some themes, such as "Rectifier" were more orchestra-forward, and others, like "Derezzed" are more electronic. Two different styles, but they blend seamlessly throughout.

The acting was there, but nothing too amazing. When I think about it, I honestly was not concerned for any of the main characters' well-being. I kind of was just letting whatever happened happen without any complaint or concern. I'm kind of sad I didn't care more about them, but I just didn't. It was not like in 'Star Wars,' where you wonder what Luke would do after his Uncle and Aunt died, or in 'Up,' when Carl Fredrickson loses Ellie. I had no concern for Sam or his father. I know they're just movies, but sometimes people are so immersed with a story, we have to see if a character is going to make it all right/what happens. Don't tell me that that has never happened to you before.

Was it worth watching it in 3D? Sort of. I'm still waiting for the day when they really make use of 3D technology. So far, with the arrival of 'Avatar' and all those other films, 3D is just child's play. I think I'm gonna opt out of 3D films for a while. I can't wait for the day that 3D is so good, I can finally feel the smooth, bald head of Bruce Willis.


Rent worthy? It's worth watching once. Great for the big screen and amazing sound. It's not as awesome if you watch it on a small TV with no surround sound or whatever.

DVD/Blu-ray worthy? If you're one of those who REALLY enjoyed this film, go ahead. It's deserving of HD quality as well, so I recommend the Blu-ray release if you're into that. I don't know if it's something I would buy for myself. As cool-looking as it is, its story is "just there" for me.

Random Trivia: Cillian Murphy ('Batman Begins,' '28 Days Later') has an uncredited cameo in the film.

Daft Punk also have a cameo.

Journey's "Separate Ways" makes an awesome, loud appearance in 'Legacy.' The band also provided two songs to the original 'Tron's' soundtrack, titled "Only Solutions" and "1990's Theme."

Keep on watchin'

The Little Critic

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy