RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

I Wanted To Hate It, But 'Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World'' Knocked Me Out With Awesomeness



Release Date: August 13, 2010 (USA)

Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Anna Kendrick, Ellen Wong, Mae Whitman, Brandon Routh, Chris Evans, Kieran Culkin

Director: Edgar Wright

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for stylized violence, sexual content, language, and drug references.

I'm gonna say this more than once, but: That was a pretty damn good movie.

'Scott Pilgrim' is a 2010 film based on the indie comic book 6-part series by Bryan Lee O'Malley.


Film 'Scott' has compiled/adapted/restraint all the 6 comic books into one major motion picture.

23-year-old, Canadian Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera, epitome of awkwardness) is the bassist in the band 'The Sex Bob-ombs,' lives with his gay roommate (Kieran Culkin, that 'Home Alone' kid's younger brother), and is dating a 17-year-old, Asian, Catholic school-girl, Knives Chau (Ellen Wong, who I apparently look like according to the friend I watched this with).

Before you scream "CREEPER!!!!" at the dating part, the relationship Scott shares with Knives is purely innocent, if not selfish on Scott's part. He has not recovered from the break-up with his last girlfriend, who dumped him after becoming successful with her own band.

A fateful encounter with Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead, from 'Sky High') suddenly turns his world around and Scott becomes convinced that she is perfect. He dumps Knives and pursues Ramona feverishly.

Like most women, Ramona comes with a little hefty baggage/work that the guy has to deal with...but unlike most of us, her baggage is a league of Seven Evil Ex's that Scott must fight if they must be together.

When I saw the trailer to this film, it looked really STUPID. On another note, I can't stand Michael Cera since he is always the same character for EVERY movie he does. Maybe that's not his fault, sometimes Hollywood typecasts actors.

With the case of 'Scott Pilgrim,' after viewing it, I've come to make an exception with this film. Cera is still an awkward man-child, but in the most bad-ass way possible.
My reaction after seeing 'Scott Pilgrim'
What I love about this whole premise is how everything is like a classic video game. For example, you have played at least ONE game where an enemy leaves behind coins. Well, that's pretty much what happens in Scott Pilgrim's world.

Accept it, it's wonderfully different and it amazes me that no one in movies has pulled it off (successfully) sooner.

There are many wonderful quirky moments that I can remember, such as an Indian man breaking into a Bollywood musical number.

This is a visual movie and it is fast paced enough to get to the point of the story. I've never read the comics, but I have to say, the film does a good job getting new people and fans into the world of Scott Pilgrim. I had a blast at the theater, despite two 30-something year olds making out in front of me throughout the film.

I don't know if any older generations will buy into it, but I do know some who have. It's probably not the couple that was in front of me since their lips were glued to each other's face.

All the actors did a good job and I have no complaints really. Kieran Culkin was pretty awesome here and I hope to see him in more movies.

So I hope you will go see it and give it a chance soon. It did not do so well at the box office, especially being up against 'The Expendables' and 'Eat, Pray, Love.' The trailers do not do the film justice and if you're a big fan of video games, young love stories, quirky and/or artsy films, or Michael Cera, this film may be for you. Go see it in theaters while it's still out because it won't be for very much longer.


Rent worthy? If you don't get a chance to see it in theaters, rent it when it is available. Like I said before, anyone who loves video games will LOVE all the references they have to the old school games.

DVD/Blu-ray worthy? I'm happy to say I would definitely watch this movie again. I cannot wait until it comes out.

Random Trivia: Mae Whitman, who appears in this movie, is famous for provided the voice of Katara on the animated series 'Avatar: The Last Airbender.' I'll let you guess who she plays..or you can Google it. Brandon Routh is most known for being "America's greatest hero" in 2006's 'Superman Returns.' Anna Kendrick is most known for 'Twilight' as one of Bella's normal friends (I don't know the name so...) And of course, Chris Evans, the Human Torch from those crappy 'Fantastic Four' movies.

Keep on watchin'

The Little Critic

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy