RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

'The Motorcycle Diaries:' Ernesto Guevara Before He Was Che


Release Date: (In Argentina as 'Diarios de motocicleta') July 29, 2004;(US/Sundance) January 15, 2004

Starring: Gael Garcia Bernal, Rodrigo de la Serna

Director: Walter Salles

MPAA Rating: Rated R for language


Official Movie Website

Note: I am neither a lover or hater of Che Guevara. Do not assume anything about my political views; this entry is about a movie.

Everyone has come across the iconic image of Marxist Che Guevara at least once in their lifetime. Even if you do not know who he is or what he did, no doubt you've seen this image before.
Now ironically plastered over millions of merchandise
'The Motorcycle Diaries' does not focus on Che when he was Che. It focuses on him when he was simply 23-year-old Ernesto Guevara's ('Letters to Juliet's Gael Garcia Bernal) and his 1952 road trip with his best friend, Alberto Granado (Rodrigo de la Serna).

'Diaries' is adapted from the journal Ernesto wrote about that very journey and is also backed up by some passages from Back on the Road: A Journey Through Latin Ameria by Alberto, his friend.

Ernesto, only a semester away from finishing his medical degree, and Alberto decide to leave Buenos Aires and travel across the South American continent to do their medical residency at a leper colony in Peru.

The journey starts out as a typical college student road trip: just having some good old fun and letting out their strong desires for adventure. Yet, as the film unfolds, Ernesto's eyes are opened in ways that change him. His life's path is rewritten and encounters the inevitable split of the two friends' destinies.

I enjoyed 'Diaries' a lot. I think watching this film really opens up Che's perspective on life a lot more to those who watch it or read the journal.

I am, in all innocent honesty, not a big fan or opposer of the Che craze. I think it is because I've known so many people who have plastered his image on an item and use it to describe their own passive rebellion and not really understand exactly what he stood for. My point: Che was an anti-capitalist and now his image is strewn across millions of merchandise all for the profit of company owners...in other words, an anti-capitalist is paying for the capitalist's lunch right now. You see where I'm going with this?

If you see anyone with an image of Che anywhere on them, ask them about him and what he stands for. About 1 out of 7 people will answer you will a complete, correct answer. Okay, maybe 2.


But, forget about what Che stands for when you watch 'Diaries.' On a deeper level, this is about finding the path to one's life. Sometimes we take one road, occasionally with a friend, then life happens to the best of us. Things change, friends are separated, paths are split, we fall on the ground and pick ourselves up.

I liked the movie because I saw Ernesto Guevara as a human, not Che the Image. I was able to see how he got from Point A to Point B and why he became the way he did. Even my father, who is not a fan of Che's actions, likes this film. So, I think anyone with an open mind can appreciate 'Diaries.' The dialogue is good and the actors, director, and writers did a fantastic job bringing the story to life.

The music is also worth mentioning because it is absolutely beautiful. I love listening to a particular song when I feel like relaxing or when I am traveling. Gustavo Santaolalla's piece "De Usuahia a la Quiaca" is a very good song.
Rent worthy? Oh yeah, I think this is a movie to watch, especially for those who actually WANT to know who Che used to be. Sundance Film Institutes' founder, the great Robert Redford, produced this film and he is quite good at picking up potential in films.

DVD/Blu-ray worthy? I do not think this is a movie I would watch over and over again constantly. I will see it again one day if I am in the mood since my father owns it. For myself though, I do not know if I want it enough.

Keep on watchin',

The Little Critic

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy