RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

'In Bruges' It's in Belgium, If You Didn't Know


Release Date (Limited): February 8, 2008

Starring: Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, Clemence Posey

Director: Martin McDonagh

MPAA Rating: Rated R for strong bloody violence, persuasive language and some drug use.

Trailer (WARNING: Strong Language)

'In Bruges' is a dark comedy. Just bluntly stating, it's a dark-toned movie with comedy that is expressed through the quick-witted dialogue (depending on your taste or if you can understand their thick accents [SUBTITLES HELP! I SWEAR!]).

To put it out now, I like this movie. It didn't exactly click with me the first time I watched it...I actually did not watch the whole thing the first time. After some time, it grew on me. Something about the way their smart-assed talk made sense to me, like, this IS how the characters would really talk if they existed in real life. I'll talk more about it later.

Two hit-men, Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) are sent off to Bruges (it's in Belgium, by the way) by London mobster, Harry (Ralph Fiennes) for a cool-off after a hit gone wrong in a church.

Ken is delighted to go and eager to take on the sites of the most intact medieval city in Europe. Ray, however, rashly states: "Ken, I love Dublin. I grew up in Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me. But I didn't, so it doesn't."

Ken is (somewhat) patient with his younger partner and continues to take on an almost fatherly figure for Ray, despite his hatred for Bruges. Mobster Harry, with his strict role of principles, calls in on Ken and sends him certain special orders. Meanwhile, Ray meets a young woman, Chloe (Clemence Posey), and runs into a few instances with a midget, Canadians, Americans, and a certain man connected with Chloe.

Pretty much the basic story, without giving out too many details. Did I mention Bruges is in Belgium?

I love the lines and I love the way the actors said them. It is a dialogue-driven movie. If you do not listen to what they're saying, you won't get it. (Oh, and if you're viewing this on DVD, I beg you to use subtitles.) If you don't remember that these are hitmen who could care less for manners, you will feel appalled at the way they act. They kill people for money; I'm sure they don't give a crap for language.

Then again, even if you try to do both of these things, if it's not your taste in humor, it's not your taste in humor. Not your fault at all.

I have shown this film to a few people in the past. One person did not get it and did not give 'In Bruges' another thought. Another loved it and has stated it is one of his most favorite movies now.

Another thing: This is known as a dark/black comedy. These kinds of comedies rarely have a "everyone's happy, let's go get ice cream and sit under a rainbow" ending. Just putting that out there.

There are so many quotes I love from this film and too many to share. It's not exactly a family movie, so if you are going to watch it, be aware of the strong language.

Rent worthy? If you are into dark comedies and/or hitmen, I would recommend it. It's not one of those typical comedy movies that Hollywood spews out every month, so do not expect that from this.

DVD/Blu-ray worthy? I own it. If you end up liking it enough, I'm sure you will, too. Not much difference with the special features on the DVD and Blu-ray discs, so I recommend just getting it on DVD.

Random Connection: What's 'In Bruges' have to do with the 'Harry Potter' films?
There are three actors in this film who also had prominent roles in the 'HP' series. Ralph Fiennes is well-known for portraying the villainous Voldemort; Brendan Gleeson played Mad-Eye Moody; Clemence Posey starred as Fleur Delacour in the 4th installment of 'HP.'

Where's Bruges?
It's in f*cking Belgium.

Keep on watchin'

The Little Critic

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy