RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

'Letters To Juliet' and Another Moment When I Don't Have a Witty Title


Theater Release Date: May 14, 2010

DVD Release Date: September 14, 2010

Starring: Amanda Seyfried, Vanessa Redgrave, Christopher Egan, Franco Nero, Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal

Director: Gary Winick

MPAA Rating: PG for brief rude behavior, some language and incidental smoking

Trailer


Official Movie Website

I saw 'Letters to Juliet' a few weeks or so after it came out. My blog was not up and running at that time so I have never really talked about it until now. Now that it is coming out on DVD/Blu-Ray tomorrow, I shall review it.

I'd like to put it out there that I do not care for majority of the genre many people know as "Chick Flicks." I can watch all the classic Disney films AND sing-along with their catchy songs, and even then, most chick flicks are too much for me. It's weird because I am a romantic, but...

I can never connect to most main characters in other romantic films because it's almost always the same: Woman sees attractive man. Man stares back at her and gives her an accepting glance. Romantic feelings are immediately between them despite only seeing each other for a total of 5 seconds. They say hi and, in some cases, get a cup of coffee. They get together. They fight because of a misunderstanding. They make-up, make passionate love. Everyone is happy and gets what they want. There may be a marriage and a few kids in the end.

Umm, yeah. I've never had that "staring in awe" moment with a random, cute guy in my life...ever.

I dare any of the people reading this to just stop and stare when you see a random cute guy/girl. And I mean STARE. If they move left, follow them with your eyes. If they move out of sight, move where they are to get a better glimpse. Call me if that action did NOT inspire a weirded-out look from the person receiving your creeper gaze.
"I see we've made brief eye contact. That meaningful moment means I am yours FOREVER...Love you..darling."
But 'Juliet' is different, to me. It certainly is not the greatest film in the world, but it's not too bad either as far as romantic genres go. I think, despite my young age, I could connect with Claire (Vanessa Redgrave) and part of her story.

Now, don't get me wrong, the film has some wishful, corny moments too, but mostly with Sophie's (Amanda Seyfried) story.

Sophie, an American journalist, travels with her fiance', Victor (Gael Garcia Bernal), to Verona, Italy; the "home" of Shakespeare's literary character, Juliet Capulet. After wanting to explore alone, Sophie discovers a group of volunteers who call themselves "Juliet's secretaries."

These women respond to all letters left at a non-Facebook wall from people seeking romantic advice from Juliet.

Fascinated, Sophie offers to help out. She begins to collect the letters at the end of the day and discovers one from 1957 from a woman named Claire. Despite the old age, she responds back, not knowing what she just did.

A few days later, a young, rich Englishman, Charlie (Chris Egan), arrives and tell Sophie that his grandmother is Claire from the old letter and she is now in Verona and that it is entirely Sophie's fault.

Because of her response, Claire is now on a quest to find her old Italian lover that she has clearly not forgotton after many years. Problem is, there are hundreds of Lorenzo Bartolinis's in the area. Yet, that does not stop determined Claire.

Sophie decides to accompany Claire, much to bratty Charlie's disappointment. She does not only help Claire with her love story, but Sophie begins to reflect on her own with Victor as well.

So, in short, I liked it. I think it was because I could connect with things that Claire said. I do believe there can be love that never dies and that one will always wonder if a second chance is possible. Personally, I think that can happen only to the best of relationships and second chances do not work with just anyone you happened to go out with. I guess, in a way, I hoped it would happen to me.

Anyways, this is not exactly the best film and it's predictable, but I could connect with it for personal reasons. I hope, if you're interested, that you can connect with some of parts of it too. I think if you get that initial connection to 'Juliet,' you will like it. If not, then it'll just be a maybe.



Rent worthy? If you're a fan of romantic films, yes, it's worth watching. If you are a man, I recommend 'In Bruges,' which I have a review of below this one. If you're a man with a girlfriend/wife who wants to watch this, put up with it.

DVD/Blu-ray worthy? Hmm, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I want it. I like it, but I think it's one of those films I'll watch if it's on TV. I'm sure in another year or two, it will premiere on Lifetime or something. It is coming out in stores tomorrow.

Random Trivia: Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero are a couple in real life. They met on the set of the 1967 musical film 'Camelot.' Redgrave played Lady Guinevere while Nero played Lancelot. They had a child together in 1969 and separated for many years. They reunited and on December 31, 2006, they married. Second chances can happen.

Keep on watchin'

The Little Critic

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy