RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

'Departures' Left Me Feeling Bittersweet



'Departures' is a 2008 Japanese movie that follows the story of a now out-of-work cello player, Daigo Kobayashi.
After the disintegration of his orchestra, Daigo decides to leave Tokyo with his wife, Mika Kobayashi, and live in the childhood home his deceased mother left him in Yamagata.

Once there, Daigo looks for a job and sees an ad from the NK Agency with high pay, no expertise needed, and "dealing with departures." Daigo sets up an interview, thinking the job is a travel agency.

After meeting the secretary and the boss, Ikuei Sasaki, Daigo learns that he is dead wrong. A misprint in the ad caused the word 'departed' to become 'departures' instead. Daigo is hesitant at first to learn that he may be literally working with the dead, but takes it when Sasaki insists and gives him 500,000 yen ($5646) upfront.

The film comically, dramatically, and beautifully follows Daigo through his controversial job of cleaning and preparing the deceased for the family. It also becomes clear of his personal struggles of his lost father, who left him and his mother when he was only 6 years old.

'Departures' not only describes what death is perfectly, but also how those who are still living deal with death.

We all deal with death in different ways. No matter what the religion, belief, or outlook is, some of us become angry and bitter, sad and bittersweet, etc. 'Departures' actually shows that death doesn't care how rich we are, how poor, how loved, how hated...death takes us all.

This movie made me cry at the end, but not in the "THERE IS NO GOD! WHY?!?!" way. I cried because it showed that death should not be a bad aspect of anything. It is supposed to bring those who are living a sense of closure and all we have to do to deal with death is accept it. 'Departures' also shows that through death, there is still life.

There were parts that made me like this, only less creepy: and like this:

But in the end, it gave me a sense of closure that everything is fine, despite the bittersweetness of it all.

This film is Japanese, so for us English speakers, it means subtitles. I know some people pretty much rip me apart when I say "I don't mind subtitles and I sometimes need it for English films." Sometimes actors whisper in films and I can't hear what they're saying. Some actors don't ENUNCIATE enough (I'm watching you, Robert Pattinson) When I'm at home, I always opt for subtitles so I can understand what is going on with the story. So naturally, I'm a person who doesn't mind foreign films.

Me, defending my rights to use subtitles and my love for foreign films

For those who have recently lost a loved one or are just afraid of death...just watch this and I hope it may bring you a sense of closure or there is some relation to the movie. It is very sweet, and winning an Academy Award isn't too bad either.
If you love dramas, (although to be fair, 'Departures' is actually funny in some scenes) and you don't mind foreign films or subtitles, just check this out. This little critic says so.
4/5
One point for amazing music by Joe Hisashi, the same man for the Miyazaki films (Look up: 'Departures Memory Okuribito' on Youtube)
One point for the story and direction
One point for a great ending
One point cause it made me cry in the best way possible
Rent it on Netflix or at Blockbuster or if you're really daring, just buy it without even seeing it first.

What are your thoughts about foreign films? Do you hate them or love them? Have you seen this movie? Would you want to see it? Do you hate subtitles? Am I being to nosy?
Next review will be 'Toy Story 3', later today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy