RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

Little Quickies: 'Nine' & 'The Wolfman'


I have not written anything for a while; it feels really nice to be writing again.

Three days ago, I watched two newer films. One was tolerable, the other I don't ever want to watch again.

Let's begin with 2010's 'The Wolfman.'

'The Wolfman' centers on exactly what the title says: a wolfman. Mindblown yet?

'Wolfman' stars Benecio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt, and Hugo Weaving.
Del Toro plays Lawrence Talbot, an actor returning to England from America.

He returns when he hears, from his brother's fiance', Gwen (Emily Blunt), that his brother has been brutally killed.

Despite being estranged from his father, (Anthony Hopkins) Lawrence goes back and vows to find his brother's killer.

He eventually comes to realize that whatever killed his brother is literally inhuman.

'Wolfman' is not exactly the best movie. It's pretty "cookie-cutter" in the typical monster movie. There's the monster. There's the skepticism. There's the woman who always ends up being loved by that monster who hopes she's into beastiality, etc.

It was still tolerable to watch and the violence makes up for some of the dryness. I have to admit, there were some really gross ways some of those extras died.

The design of the werewolf's face made me snicker a little bit as it reminded me of the 1950's werewolf movies, but I think they did that on purpose, as a "nod of the head" to the classic films.
The action is cool, the story is predictable, but it's not the worst movie in the world.
3/5

Rent worthy? Yeah, on a slow day and there's nothing else to watch.

DVD/Blu-ray worthy? I wouldn't get it. I need space for better deserving movies. Although, if you like it, getting it on Blu-ray would be a plus for the nice effects that have from time to time.
Random Tidbit Anthony Hopkins also starred in 1992's 'Dracula' as Van Helsing. First non-glittering vampires and now werewolves. I'm wondering if he's going to do a film about Frankenstein next.

Say "Nein" to 'Nine'

'Nine' is a musical about a famous Italian director, Guido Contini (Daniel Day-Lewis), and his struggle to make his next film. He attempts to have the audience have faith in him once more after a string of flops that followed his more successful first films. (Like M. Night Shaymalan)
His new film is titled, 'Italia' and production has already started.
There's no script, however. Not one page.
Contini knows it will be about Italy...but, what about Italy?
Frustrated, he tries to find inspiration through his dying relationship with his wife ('Inception's Marion Cotillard), his mistress (Penelope Cruz) and his muse (Nicole Kidman).
I can see the film trying to inspire sympathy from viewers for Guido, but I just could not feel sorry for his character. At all. But I have my very personal reasons as to why.

The music was only okay, but I want to applaude Fergie (YES, Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas) for her song "Be Italian" and short role. She gained about 20 lbs for her role and she's one of those women who looks amazing with extra meat on her bones. Seriously, she should just stay that way.

Two other songs I liked was "Cinema Italiano" sung by Kate Hudson and "Take It All" sung by Marion Cotillard. Fergie's was definitely the best overall.
So 3 songs out of about 11 I enjoyed. It's not enough for me to like 'Nine' completely.
I like the director's adaptation of' 'Chicago' MUCH better. If you haven't seen 'Chicago' and you love musicals, that is a MUST-SEE.
2/5
Rent worthy? If you're just curious at how everyone plays their roles or you love musicals, then yes rent it.
DVD/Blu-ray worthy? I don't want it. I will download those 3 songs I liked though.
Keep on watchin'
The Little Critic

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy