RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

'The Last Airbender' Did Not Blow Me Away


This little critic watched the movie. This little critic was not happy.

'The Last Airbender' follows the story of a young 12-year old monk known as Aang who is found frozen in an iceberg by two Southern Water Tribe siblings named Katara and her brother, Sokka.

We learn that he is not only the last Airbender in the world (hence the title, duh), but we also learn that he is the Avatar, the only person who can connect with the Spirit World and master bending all four elements. (Water, Earth, Fire, Air) It is up to him to restore peace to a world at war for 100 years, but to do that, he must master the other elements and the Avatar State (the time when his eyes and tattoo glow blue) and try not to get captured by banished Fire-Nation Prince Zuko and his uncle, Iroh. All this at age 12.
All I had to worry about when I was 12 was what I was having for lunch at school and filling up my Pokedex in the Pokemon Crystal game.

This movie is based on the hit Nickelodeon series 'Avatar: The Last Airbender.' Due to friggen James Cameron and the blue people, they had to remove 'Avatar' from the movie title.

Damn you, blue people. Look at his smug face.
But I can't stay mad at James Cameron cause there's another director that throughly pissed me off: M. Night Shyamalan.
"Could this be my directorial comeback? Let's raise the hopes a little bit and..NO, IT'S CRAP AGAIN! And I made you pay for it, mwhahaha!! Aight, I'm gonna write the next script on the money ya'll gave me."

I had faith in Shyamalan. I really did. I recently got into the cartoon series a few months ago and loved it. I avoided it many times in the past and ridiculed my little sisters. If I knew a crazy scientist with a time machine DeLorean, I would go back in time and slap myself in the back of the head and just make myself watch it. This is a series where I thought, "This would make such a great film. They need to make it!"

I got my wish, along with millions of other fans. When I heard it was Shyamalan doing it, I felt skeptical, but I thought, "This cartoon is so good. There is no way that even SHYAMALAN can screw this up and I liked 'The Sixth Sense'...'Signs' was all right...I actually liked 'The Village.'"

So, from a perspective of someone who is familar with the show, what's the big deal and problem about this movie?

This was supposed to be a movie to get those who avoided the cartoon to be familiar with the series' well-developed and surprisingly mature story through live-action.

I followed the movie well. I knew what was going on because in my mind, I filled in the gaps with the events from the cartoon that the movie had missed.

Yet, despite that, I felt robbed. Why? Cause those who didn't know the story, did not get the big picture of Aang's journey. This is a child. He doesn't want these responsibilties at first. He just wants to be a regular kid and everyone expects so much of him. The movie and actors failed to portray that emotion and I think that is what makes the cartoon seem more human.






















"Oh, I see, the column on the left is the cartoon and the column on the right are the actors cause there's a lot more depth and emotion to their faces."

I'm not asking Shyamalan to put in every single detail from the cartoon into the film. I know how hard it is to condense stories. I had to do it once for an adaptation of 'Peter Pan.' It's a pain in the Avatar. You have to pick and choose which parts and characters are more relevant and more important to the story. Yet, he changes things and removes things that matter...except for the name-pronounciations...that didn't matter at all and he still changed it.

It's like remaking 'Star Wars' and giving the Jedis guns instead of lightsabers. Why do that? It'd just piss people off and do absolutely nothing to the story.

What I am saying is, this movie deserved better and it just didn't get it from M. Night. Nice try, but I'm honestly hoping for a reboot. The Hulk got it, The Punisher got one, Spider-Man is (unnecessarily) getting one, why can't Aang?

2/5

One point for trying, one point just cause I'm nice. That's right, Shyamalan, you have my pity.

What are your thoughts about this? Anything that grinds your gears about the film/director/actors/script?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I LOVE this! I was just waiting for you to start one. Remeber all our rants in Literature? haha, I miss you!

-Jessi

Anonymous said...

I don't have a profile, but this is Mitch

This is kind of how I felt about the movie. Sokka was the worst for me. He is so goofy in the show, but he was painfully dry in the movie. Same for Kitarra Aang was...meh. He certainly could have been worse. His lines felt kind of forced, but it is hard to pin that squarely on him. Some of that blame has to go on the writer and director, Shyamalan.

The effects were at least halfway decent. Not the best. I wanted to see it in 3D, but they weren't offering it at my theater. I was really thrown off by Assif Mandvi being one of the villains. I'm not sure if you watch the daily show, but he is one of the main correspondents. Makes it kind of hard to take him seriously. Not sure whose fault that is.

Alright, I've now written too much. Thanks for inviting me to your facebook for this Lisa!! I love your writing style and will read it all in time. I'll try to comment on any of the movies I've seen. You better have a review for Inception. I'm planning on seeing it opening day as I've been waiting for this movie for over a year.

-Mitch Stephenson

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy