RSS
I review the old and new, the mainstream and the obscure, the daring and the juvenile. Just a Little Critic that has an elephantine amount of praises, complaints, and outrageous statements to say about cinema of all kinds.

'Julie & Julia' Jolted My Life In The Most Unexpected Way


This is a review, but honestly, it is more about how I came to write this blog than anything.

'Julie & Julia' is a 2009 film centering around two women's stories. The most notable of the two is the cooking legend, Julia Child and the other, a formerly unpublished, aspiring author, Julie Powell.

Two different time frames and yet their lives are now entwined when Julie Powell decides to create a blog focusing on Julia Child's cookbook, 'Mastering The Art of French Cooking' and Julie's quest to do all 524 recipes in one year.

I first saw the film when it arrived in the mail through Netflix (I swear by it, if you're a movie-buff like me, Netflix is amazing) I watched it because I love Meryl Streep, who portrays Julia Child in the film. Before this film, I was not 'Child-ucated' and familiar with her.

However, it was around that time that I started gaining minimal interest in cooking. So there is perfect timing there.

The first time I watched it, I liked it, but did not give it another thought. This past month, I have been catching 'Julie & Julia' on Starz and found myself watching it again and loving it the more times I caught it on TV. A few days later, I found myself in an emotional fix and needing comfort. That same day, I see Julia Child's old show, 'The French Chef,' on the Cooking Channel.

My face lit up as I have never seen her show. In that moment, I found a sense of comfort as I watched her create a simple lentil soup. No, I did not cook lentil soup, but I did cook something else that day: A delicious lemon and herb chicken dish that was so good, I cooked it again the next day. It was amazing and the sauce of it just melted in my mouth.

There is something intriguing about Julia Child. Her voice is very unique and can throw you off at first. Yet, it's like a song that grows on you. The more you hear it, the more you like it and there's just something comforting about her.

I did not only connect with Julia, but also Julie Powell, portrayed by 'Enchanted's Amy Adams.

Her character is a writer, like me. An unpublished writer, like me. And like me, Julie never seems to finish what she starts. She later, however, gets the idea to write a blog. No publishing required and the work is still out there for all to read.

That really jolted me. I've had this idea to do a movie review blog for MONTHS and I just never did it. I honestly don't know why, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Then I realized, I have finished a lot of things in my life. I wrote a full play, I went to the finals of the National History Day contest and got to go to D.C. Why in the world did I give myself limitations?

I think I have been seeing Julia Child everywhere in my life lately because it is sign that I have to keep this up. Not for others, but for myself.

Maybe it is not a sign from God or Julia Child herself, but that is how I'm taking it.

Julia Child was passionate about cooking. Her passion for it was...refreshing to me. While I love cooking now, I'm more passionate about movies. Somehow, Julia's passion for cooking has passed through me and is, instead, a stronger passion for movies.

Just like Julia shared her passion of culinary arts to millions of others, I will share my passion for films to my few readers. It's not about popularity. I just want to share it and actually use my writing skills.

I think I've talked enough about myself now. Contrary to popular belief, I am not a narcissist.

As you can tell, I really like this movie because of my personal connection to it. I recommend it to anyone, but I'm pretty sure only women and people who like to cook will watch this.

But never know unless you give it a try, right?

5/5

Rent worthy? Yeah, if you're curious about Julia Child, like Meryl Streep, or love cooking, go watch it.

DVD/Blu-ray worthy? I don't own this movie actually. I think I will soon though, along with a copy of 'Mastering The Art of French Cooking.' If I ever get the time to even buy the book.

Thank you, Julia, for inspiring passion in me. I will enjoy writing, cooking, and gobble life up like a delicious boeuf bourguignon and shall forever say, "Bon appetit!" because of you.Keep on watchin'

The Little Critic

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The Little Critic. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Free Blogger Layouts | Bloggerized by Miss Dothy